Sunday, March 2, 2014

The Planning Stages

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download
Were getting ready to embark on yet another project around our house and Im particularly excited about it as it means Ill be working on it outdoors in the sunshine!  Were going to give our front porch a little attention during the next couple months and hopefully utilize the space in a way that is more comfortable and inviting.

While Ive been working on putting together a plan, I thought Id share with you the steps I take every time we begin working on a new project, particularly one that encompasses an entire room.  As always, I feel the need to put in a little disclaimer that Im by no means an expert... in fact, the majority of the time I feel like I know absolutely nothing... but these are merely a few things that help me.    

Gathering Inspiration

source
A few easy (and affordable) solutions (Country Living)
source
Love this porch - Blushing Bride hydrangeas bloom in a galvanized tub on this guesthouse #porch.
source
Perfect
source
This is the first step I take when looking at a remodel project.  For years I have clipped photos from magazines and catalogs that inspire me and tucked them away in a binder.  Now we have Pinterest too, and although it took me a long time to break down and use it, I have to admit that I love this method of gathering inspiration (you can find me on Pinterest here).  For me, its not so much copying, but rather gathering together a variety of ideas to incorporate.  Ive taken inspiration from all the porches above, even though the color schemes, styles and designs are different.  Its taking all those little pieces of inspiration that speak to you in that photo - a color, an architectural detail, a suggestion of comfort, accessories - and using them to help you put your vision together.  
 
Staying True to your Style

Isnt this probably the hardest thing of all when it comes to decorating?  I know it is for me.  We have so much access to beautiful photos and ideas that sometimes its easy to get overwhelmed and lose focus on what we really love and also what works best for us and our families.  I always remind myself that this is our house and it needs to fit our lifestyle and our family... its okay to be different!
 
A Color Scheme

Sometimes we might have a color in our mind that we love, but something prevents us from using it.  This is often the case for me because Im trying to work with something we already have.  I would love to have a porch that was entirely shades of blue, but we have a green metal roof... a perfectly good metal roof that we dont plan on replacing (smile).  That means its time to compromise.  Im teaming up with Lamps Plus on this project, so I was thrilled when I found a couple beautiful outdoor pillows that incorporate both blue and green from them. 


Visualize

As I gather ideas and brainstorm, I like to visualize what the entire room or project will look like once its finished.  True, there are always adjustments along the way, but it helps me to have a vision.  Oftentimes I even sketch my idea on paper, such as furniture placement, etc.   

Establish a Budget

While its easy to wish this wasnt a factor to take into consideration, I dont think Im speaking for just myself when I say it is.  It helps to establish a budget in the planning stages, because youll soon determine what is most important to you.  It can sometimes be a wonderful thing though... it gets those creative juices flowing and you may end up with several things in your room that are handmade, unique, and special.  It has always helped us in remodeling our home to work with what we can and do the work ourselves. 

Think Outside the Box

I added this step after establishing a budget because it goes hand-in-hand with those creative juices.  When something is out of your price range, dont give up quite yet - look for alternatives. (What do you think I should plant in this galvanized tub Ill be using as a planter?)


Accessorize

In our case, the bulk of our cost usually goes to structural details, but I also like to factor in some accessories.  Accessories can complete your look and theyre also fun to daydream about since youll get to use them when your project is complete (smile).  This doesnt mean I know absolutely every accessory Im going to use in the planning stages, but it does help for me to have an idea of a few things as they help complete that vision.

Do What You Can... And Buy What You Cant

I couldnt think how else to word that!  We have cut costs many times by doing the work ourselves, but sometimes you just cant and sometimes it just isnt worth it.  I am so, so lucky to have a handy husband that likes to build things... in the case of our porch, adding an outdoor rug and a coffee table were both things I had on my mind.  So I went with a rug (which I cant make) and asked my husband if he would build us a coffee table (which will practically be free since we already have the wood).  Even though Justus isnt thrilled with having another project on his to-do list I know in the end well have a piece of furniture that will reflect the style of our home and will also be special. 


Make a List

I know you probably arent surprised with this last item, as I imagine most of you probably have figured out by now that Im a list type of person (smile).  But  it always helps me to stay on target if I have a list of everything that has to be accomplished and theres also so much satisfaction in crossing something off.  Its just a helpful little way for me to keep from getting overwhelmed when I can take something in pieces.  It also helps this forgetful mommy remember ideas!  

Ill keep you posted on our porch progress! 

Note: The products pictured here I received from Lamps Plus and you can find them here:
          Outdoor Pillows
          Seagrass Outdoor Rug
          Candle Lantern
          Galvanized Tub

TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

No comments:

Post a Comment