Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Teagues Cradle

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download
Well, its been a long time since I added anything to this blog. This post (and the next one) should help explain what Ive been up to - woodworking and otherwise! Its really suprising how fast 9 months goes by - I almost lost the race with cell division. Sad. But in the end I got it done in time.

The design is heavily influenced by a 1850s example in American Country Furniture 1780 - 1875 by Ralph and Terry Kovel. But of course, I had to mess with it and make it mine. The angles proved a nice construction challenge - and a clamping nightmare. Joinery is traditional country style: "whatever works, works". In this case, glued and nailed rabbits. I find this philosophy difficult, as it flies in the face of my own default mantra: "How could I make this more complicated?"


I also finally got to use my milk paint! It is from The Real Milk Paint Co. and I really enjoyed using it. Earth Green cut 50% with White - two coats - then two coats of Tried and True Danish Oil (another favorite of mine - love it!) followed by one coat of Tried and True Original (linseed oil and beeswax mixture). A little slow but completely non-toxic and safe for baby and me.

I have always tended to favor unpainted wood, but there is something nice about how the paint creates a uniformity that ties the piece together. It seems to make it more "one" and emphasise the shape of the whole. I like it...



...and apparently, so does Teague.


TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

No comments:

Post a Comment